Menstrual problems are common and are often unjustly experienced or termed as ‘normal’. Your menstruation should not hinder you in your daily life; acupuncture can offer improvement. Abnormalities or problems include :
- a cycle shorter or longer than 26-30 days
- an irregular menstrual cycle
- absence of the first period in adolescence
- severe or very little blood loss
- no blood loss (amenorrhea)
- spotting or bleeding between periods
- back pain or abdominal pain, cramps, headaches
- breast tenderness or painful breasts
- acne, pimples
- mood swings, feeling erratic or emotional
- irritability or feelings of aggression
- sadness, depression or anxiety.
Traditional Chinese medicine ascribes a large portion of menstrual problems to ‘illness-causing energies’ and disturbances within the energy balance of gynaecological functions and tissues, and thus also hormonal imbalances. The goal of acupuncture treatment is to find and eliminate the illness-causing energies and to strengthen the energies that ensure a healthy and regular menstrual cycle. We also place this problem in the context of the whole: your general health and wellbeing, of which your menstruation is a part.